Happenings in the 1900s
1900 - William Keedy was hired as marshal, pump man, lamp tender and street commissioner.
1901 - Electricity replaced kerosene lamps.
1904 - The first automobile appeared
in Mt. Morris.
1905 - The hitching posts on the west side of Wesley Ave. next to the Campus were removed.
1908 - Talks begun to establish a sewer system in Mt. Morris.
1909 - The first building of the Kable Printing Plant was erected.
1910 - The Village Board of Trustees was presented a petition, signed by 23 women, requesting the Village take action regarding the houses of disrepute in the town.
J.C. Herner was hired as night watchman.
The Village Board voted to pay $1.50 for a star badge.
1912 - Fire destroyed Old Sandstone. The building was rebuilt. The first motion picture was shown. The Village Board voted to pave, with concrete, Wesley Ave. from the railroad crossing to the first intersection.
1913 - A petition was presented to the Village Board to remove the stallion business at the corner of Wesley Ave. and Hitt St. The breeding of mares was prohibited within 250 feet of any private residence.
Â 1914 - The Village Board voted to allow F.A. Tice an extra $10.00 pay for duty during the smallpox epidemic. A committee was instructed to purchase an extension ladder to be used in case of fire.
Â 1915 - A petition was presented to the Village Board to use oil on the streets instead of water.
â€‹1917 - Watt Publishing Company was established. The Mt. Morris Township Building was erected at the corner of Wesley Ave. and Center St.
1918 - A four-year high school was built. The Village Board voted to hire an expert for the purpose of keeping Northern Illinois Utility Company from raising rates. An ordinance was passed to forbid people from gathering in public places, and a curfew was imposed to prevent influenza.
1919 - Action was taken toward construction of a sewer system. The first airplane landed in a field near Mt. Morris.Â
1920 - A motion was approved by the Village Board to install markers at each street intersection and furnish house numbering plans.
1922 - Radio was first heard in Mt. Morris. The Village Board approved installation of boulevard lights on Wesley Ave. from Center St. to the depot if the Women's Club would pay for 40 globes and poles.
1923 - The Board of Directors of Kable Brothers Company petitioned the Village Board to install an adequate and complete sewer system in the Village. A petition was also presented to change the name of Bangs St. to Lincoln St. as Bangs â€˜is distasteful and disagreeableâ€™. Short St. was changed to Seminary Ave.Â
1926 - The Memorial Fountain at the corner of Wesley Ave. and Main St. was constructed by the American Legion in memory of World War 1 Veterans. Stones were sent from across the United States and the World to be used in the memorial.
1927 - The White Pines Forest State Park was founded south of Mt. Morris.
1930 - The northwest part of Mt. Morris was platted and developed in the 1930's. The first sound movie was shown in Mt. Morris. Kable Brothers inaugurated the first air mail service.
1931 - Flames consumed the College Gym and the Girls Dorm. Old Sandstone # 2 and College Hall were badly damaged; both were later repaired. The wastewater treatment facility was constructed. It was modified in 1961, 1964, 1968 and 1979.Â
1932 - After operating for nearly 100 years, Mt. Morris College was forced to close and merge with Manchester College. The property was sold to Kable Brothers Company. The center strip containing the band shell and the gymnasium was deeded to The Village of Mt. Morris. The north side of the campus was sold to Kable News Company. The northwest corner was sold to the United States Government for a Post Office. C.B. and Q. Railroad ended service between Forreston and Mt. Morris. Kable News Company was organized.
1934 - The Village Board of Trustees accepted the Community Gymnasium from Kable Brothers.
1939 - The Village Board authorized a supervised recreation system.
1940 - Carr's addition was developed in the 1940's.
1941 - The Village finances were in deplorable condition. The Village Board voted to reduce officers from two to one, cut salary to $100.00 per month, discontinue use of police car, and pay the officer for use of his own car.
1942 - The Village Board passed an ordinance regarding blackout of lights.
1947 - Daylight Savings Time accepted; 404 Yes, 316 No.
1949 - Mt. Morris began the 4th of July celebrations.
1950 - The Village Board passed a motion to install parking meters.
1951 - Twelve Lustron homes were built in Mt. Morris.
1955 - The new High School was completed. The old High School built in 1918, with an addition in 1937, was then used as the Junior High School.
1957 - Unit School District Number 261 was formed when country and village schools consolidated. Harold Hoff was superintendent until his retirement in 1964.
1960 - The Plum Addition was platted and developed in the 1960's.
1963 - The first Mt. Morris Freedom Bell, located behind the Memorial Fountain, was dedicated by actor Ronald Reagan. On July 4th, the first national bell ringing, as promoted by Clarence "Sandy" Sandstrom, was held.
1965 - Dillehay Community Park was established.
1966 - On July 4th the large official State of Illinois Freedom Bell was dedicated. The annual July 4th Celebration was named Let Freedom Ring.
1968 - The new Rahn Elementary School on Fletcher St. was completed. It was consumed by fire in 2004, and students were transferred to the elementary building in Oregon. The school was not rebuilt. Pinecrest Manor purchased the land on Fletcher St. in 2007.
1970 - The new Village water tower was built on Center St. The old wooden tower was demolished. The original elementary school building, built in 1868, was torn down. The 1949 addition was left standing and later given to the Village when the school district consolidated with Oregon. The addition was later remodeled by the Village to be used as the Village Hall.
1971 - The Illinois State Legislature passed a resolution naming the large Mt. Morris Freedom Bell the official Freedom Bell for the State of Illinois.
1972 - The Weller Addition was officially platted.
1979 - On June 26th the Village Board passed a resolution designating the American Marigold as the official Village flower in memory of Senator Everett Dirksen.
1984 - Pinecrest Village, a senior apartment building, was constructed.
1985 - The first woman was elected to serve on the Village Board of Trustees. The Samuel M. Hitt home, west of Mt. Morris and where Abraham Lincoln had been a frequent guest, was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
1987 - The Mt. Morris Village Flag was developed. Three flag poles were placed behind the original Freedom Bell and Memorial Fountain to fly the American, State and Village Flags.
1994 - The Mt. Morris and Oregon School Districts consolidated.
1995 - The Mt. Morris Village Hall moved from the corner of McKendrie Ave. and Center St. to 105 East Lincoln St. in the 1949 addition to the former elementary school. The building and property was a gift to the Village when the Mt. Morris and Oregon school districts consolidated.